Local Offer

Mainstream schools have been asked to respond to the following questions for publication in the Wokingham Local Offer. 

The information will be available for parents, carers and young people to understand how we manage Special Educational Needs and Disabilities at Forest.

Please find more information about Local Offer for Wokingham School's at:   



Local Offer at Forest School

1.Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

1.1 How does the school identify young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

  • Transition at all key stages involves close liaison with colleagues who have been involved in the education of the child
  • Additional visits and induction programmes are arranged for SEN and Vulnerable pupils
  • Interviews with parents to establish a detailed history of the child's development and severity of the child's needs
  • Discussions with external agencies that have worked with, or reported on, the child to establish a chronology of need and the interventions provided
  • Monitoring of academic progress throughout each Key Stage, with on-going teacher observations and assessments across the curriculum
  • Specialist Assessments from an Educational Psychologist, CAMHS, Sensory Consortium, Speech and Language Therapists or Specialist Assessors for Specific Learning Difficulties
  • A medical diagnosis from a NHS consultant
  • Information provided by referrals and reports from outside agencies 1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?
1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?
  • Parents are advised to discuss their concerns with the form tutor or subject teacher
  • If there is a written record of concerns or incidents to discuss with the tutor, it will provide a history of need from early childhood, along with any relevant reports
  • Request an appointment with the SENCo or Year Director

2. Support for children with special educational needs

2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?
  • The SENCo will oversee and plan your son’s special education needs programme
  • SEN information will be shared with the Year Director, Form Tutor and subject teachers, who will make appropriate provision in the class room setting
2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?
  • At the point of transition, arrangements will be made for appropriate provision to be put in place to address his needs
  • Meetings as needed, with Form Tutor, Year Director or SENCo
  • An Annual Review for pupils with a Statement of Educational Need or an Education, Health and Care Plan
  • Each child with identifiable SEN will have an Education Learning Profile, which will influence the type of learning programme they follow in school
  • During the academic year, you will be informed by letter, about his progress and future plans
  • Tracking reports are provided at regular intervals culminating with an academic report at the end of the academic year
  • Annual Parent Meetings to meet and discuss his academic progress with subject teachers
2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?
  • All of the learning and support programmes are designed, so that each child will develop their skills to enable  them to strive towards independence
  • Differentiation to include differentiated resources and LSA support in lessons
  • Access to laptops and use of assistive technology
  • Small groups for withdrawal support to recap on key learning points from the lessons
  • Use of visual timetables 
  • Guidance and monitoring of school planners
  • Reduced curriculum
  • Intervention groups to develop basic literacy and numeracy skills                                           
2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?
  • The curriculum will be differentiated, based on each individual child’s needs, taking in to account teacher assessments, advice from outside agencies, the need for small group or 1:1 for specific interventions
  • Teachers may use a range of assessment data to develop appropriate resources for your son 
  • All pupils with any learning need will be placed on a register which includes, SEN, Vulnerable, EAL and Gifted and Talented
  • Each subject teacher will differentiate the subject based curriculum, in order for your son to access and achieve according to their cognitive ability
  • Pupils with identified SEN will have an Individual Learning Profile

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?   

Each child’s needs are looked at individually to determine the best strategies to be used specifically, or generally, across the curriculum. Strategies include:

  • Learning programmes to develop language skills across the curriculum
  • Differentiated activities and resources
  • Prompt cards
  • Social skills group
  • Social stories
  • Visual support including pictures, writing frames or word banks
  • Visual timetable
  • ICT support
  • Hearing aids
  • Multi-sensory approach to activities
  • Rewards system         
2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?
  • Learning Support Assistants     
  • Behaviour Support Assistants
  • Parent Support Adviser
  • Specialist Intervention Support Staff

2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?

Forest School offers a range of interventions programmes, in a one-to-one basis and in small groups, to develop the pupil's skills in:

  • Reading
  • Handwriting
  • Spelling
  • Nuture Group Speech,
  • Language and Communication
  • Numeracy skills
  • Organisation skills
  • Social Communication
  • Small group

2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

This will vary for each child but we will endeavour to provide resources as each child with SEND requires. Any resources and equipment that a child needs will be considered, based on recommendations made by specialist services.Currently we have the following resources and equipment in school:

  • Writing Slopes
  • Homework Club for SEN pupils
  • Radio Aids provided by Sensory Consortium
  • Learning Support Assistants
  • Handwriring pens
  • Handwriting pencil grips
  • Computers
  • Laptops
  • Learning Support Department
  • Study rooms
  • 5 tier reading programme
  • 5 tier handwriting programme
  • Handwriting equipment
  • Assistive technology using Read and Write Gold 11
  • Coloured paper and books

2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

  • Laptop
  • Quiet Room
  • Scribe/Amanuensis
  • Transcribe
  • Additional time
  • Reader
  • Read and Write Gold 11
  • Prompts
  • Rest breaks

3. My child’s progress   

3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?

Monitoring a pupil's progress with:-

  • On-going teacher assessments
  • Parent evenings
  • Parental portal
  • Standardised test
  • Termly tracking reports
  • Academic reports from subject teachers, at the end of the year
  • Target setting for Year 7 to Year 11
3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?
  • Meetings arranged to discuss the programme, progress, relating to present targets and setting new targets
  • Reviewing of progress against targets will take place during discussions with teachers during parents’ evenings
  • Learning profiles are reviewed and updated, based on everyday observations from school staff, as well as from advice from outside agencies and parents

3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

To discuss your child's progress we offer:-

  • Communication via telephone or email
  • Parents evening to meet subject teachers
  • Designated meetings for specific pupils with exceptional needs to work with outside agencies
  • Meetings with Form Tutor, Year Director or SENCo
  • Reply slips from tracking reports
  • Annual Reviews, if the child has a Statement of Education Need or an Education Health and Care Plan

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Regular contact is made by:-

  • Teachers, will arrange a meeting to discuss issues regarding your child
  • Notes written in the child’s homework diary
  • Information on the Parent Attendance Record Service (PARS) i.e. parent portal
  • Staff may be contacted via telephone calls, emails or letter
  • Notes written in the Home-School liaison book
  • Academic and attendance tracking reports
  • Year 7 and Year 10 Parent Seminars
3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?
  • Parents and guardians need to be familiar with, and in support of the procedures, rules and guidelines set down by the school
  • To attend meetings and seminars at the school
  • To provide a quiet space for the child to study, research and complete homework tasks
  • To communicate with the school about important issues that might impact on the child’s behaviour, wellbeing or safety
  • To ensure that the child is prepared for the school day, emotionally, behaviourally and socially
  • To assist the child with the planning and organisation of the school bag, equipment, diary and homework
3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?
  • Meetings with parents
  • Parenting courses are accessed through the school; by referral to the relevant outside agency
  • The school runs regular curriculum evenings, throughout the year, for each subject teacher to inform parents on progress and how to support their child
3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?
  • Pastoral programme booklets and questionnaires
  • Learning Support Department mentoring, questionnaires, interviews and meetings
  • Target setting within subject areas

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

  • The Forest school offers a comprehensive and inclusive curriculum, available to all pupils.
3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?
  • Pupil progress is monitored and tested
  • Pupil progress is measured against previous performance
  • Pupil progress is monitored via teacher assessments and standardised scores
  • Outside agencies review objectives set and progress made towards those targets
  • Parent's views are sought via response sheets
  • Discussion with children and parents, as appropriate
  • Mentoring reports, with target setting, which are prepared termly

4. Support for my child’s overall well being

4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

  • Learning Support Assistants
  • Meet and Greet sessions every morning
  • Safe room during break and lunch timeEncouragement and support through 1-1 mentoring
  • Social Skills Groups
  • Specific interventions such as Circle of Friends, Ambassadors, Social stories
  • External agencies
  • Nurture Assistants
  • Nurture groups
  • ARC counselling
  • Pupil Welfare Centre
  • Behaviour Support Assistants
  • Return to Learn room
4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?
  • The school have a Pupil Welfare Centre, whose staff work specifically with pupils who find it difficult to conform to normal behaviour guidelines and are at risk of exclusion.
  • Communication of strategies between staff, pupils and parents or carers
  • Withdrawal support
  • Behaviour Support Plans
  • Pupil Support Action Plans with internal key professionals
  • Alternative respite provision
  • Behaviour Support Assistants for pupils in KS3 and KS4, providing in class support and withdrawal support
  • In-class support 1:1 mentoring sessions
  • Pastoral Support Meetings in school
  • Identify appropriate outside agencies to work with the pupil and/or parents/carers
4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?
  • School First Aider
  • First Aid equipment
  • Staff will take on any training, as needed, to support the medical needs of any child
4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?
  • Parents are expected to supply spare inhalers, epi-pens and specific medication for emergencies
  • Medicine policy for the storage and safe keeping of all medications
  • All staff are made aware of pupils with specific allergies and/or medical needs
  • School First Aider to attend to the medical needs of the pupils
  • Specifically trained adults, according to the individual needs of the pupil
4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?
  • There is a toilet for disabled use in the school building and in the library area
  • 1:1 support with personal care or during snack and meal times, if required4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?
  • There is a wet room in the Sports Hall

 5. Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school

5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

  • Educational Psychologists
  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • Speech, Language and Communication Therapists
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Sensory Consortium
  • Adviza
  • Intervention workers from Foundry College for pupils and parents

  • Common Assessment Framework Officer

  • ARC Counsellor


  • Intensive Adviza Workers

5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?
  • Contact the Year Director, SENCo or Pupil Welfare Manager to discuss your concerns and, if necessary, they will make a referral

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

  • The specialist service will have observed and assessed the child before preparing a programme for the school to follow
  • School, staff will be trained to deliver the programmes provided, and monitor progress for further reviews with the SLC and OT therapists
5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?
  • This would be a single point of entry referral, which can be made via the SENCo
  • Alternatively, this can referred through the GP

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

  • School has access to children’s social care services, if required
  • Designated staff for Child Protection are made known to all staff and pupils on entry to school
  • Liaison with Referral and Assessment Team and Neighbourhood Teams5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

6. Training of school staff in SEND

6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?
  • Information relating to SEN pupils is shared with all teaching staff
  • Allocated discussion time, during department and Senior Leadership Team meetings, to discuss issues relating to pupils with SEND
  • Regular SEN liaison meetings with each department
  • SENCo attends SEN training courses and then shares information with colleagues
6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?
  • Information relating to SEN pupils is shared with learning support staff
  • External SEN courses are offered to staff
  • Weekly training sessions on SEN using SENCO and experts from outside  agencies
6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The SENCo has the following SEN qualifications:

  • Postgraduate Certificate in Dylsexia and Literacy
  • Approved Teacher Status (ATS) from British Dyslexia Association
  • The teaching staff have a great deal of experience in dealing with a range of SEND pupils

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

  • The Learning Support Assistants have training in a range of SEN with qualifications at NVQ level 2 and 3
  • Speech Language and Communication - EKLAN Certificate - Level 3
  • Nurture Assistant in the Pupil Welfare Team
  • CELTA - Certificate in English Language Teaching to Speakers of other Languages

7. Activities outside the classroom including school trips

7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?
  • All children are included in out of school activities and trips
  • Discussion with parents and a risk assessment is undertaken, in line with the Local Authority guidelines
  • Parents may accompany their child, if necessary, or 1:1 support may be provided depending on the level of need
7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?
  • Through discussions with parents and school staff to determine the level of support needed
  • Parents may accompany the child on some trips
  • Meetings are organised before the activity or trip
  • Advice is also taken from the venue to be visited, in terms of their facilities and accessibility


8. Accessibility of the school environment

8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

  • The newly extended 6th form block has access for students with mobility difficulties or wheelchair use, throughout the building
  • The new 6th block is fully equipped for disabled pupils
8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?
  • Advice is sought from outside agencies regarding adaptations in teaching areas of each child as needed
8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?
  • There is a toilet designated for disabled use in the Medical Room and in the School Library
  • There is a wet room in the Sports Hall facility
  • The new changing room has a toilet for disabled use
8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?
  • As far as possible, the school is accessible to all children but, as it is an old building, there are sections that are not accessible
  • For temporary incapacity, there are changes to the room allocation for that pupil, to minimise the difficulties of moving between classrooms
  • The 6th form building is fully accessible for all students

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

  • Parents with a disability are treated as equals, with respect and understanding
  • The school website is available in various accessible formats
  • The school has a plain English approach
  • If the school is informed of a disability in advance, we will try to accommodate this, as far as reasonably possible, in order to be pro-active instead of reactive
  • Printed information is available in a number of formats, where ever possible
  • A Parent Support Adviser is available to help

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

  • Translations and support is sought for parents who do not speak English to a fluent level8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?


9. Preparing my child to join the school or transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life

9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?

In preparation for the transfer to secondary school there is a:

  • Planned transition, which includes meetings and visits to the school for the pupil and the family
  • A Transition Programme for SEN and Vulnerable pupils
  • Liaison with the current school, to meet the child and the teacher in that familiar setting
  • SENCo or support staff to attend Team Around the Family meetings or Annual Reviews, if appropriate
  • Transition and information booklets outlining the features and procedures within the school
  • Meetings with the family and specialist services who are involved with them
  • Parent Support Adviser is available to support and advise

9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

  • Teacher assessments and discussion with Form Tutor, Year Director and parents
  • Career meetings
  • Year 9 Options evening
  • Meeting with Senior Leadership Team, Sixth Form leaders and Year Directors to discuss post 16 options
9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?
  • The Year 6 – Year 7 transition programme
  • The Year Director will arrange taster days for the pupils
  • Support staff to provide transition and information booklets, with photos of key adults and important places in the new school.
  • Meet with outside agencies to support transition
  • Liaison with current setting to provide records and information about the child
  • Meet with teachers to pass on information including academic and social needs, specific strategies that work and medical details
9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?
  • Discuss academic and social needs, specific strategies that work and medical details
  • Recommend that the new school visit the child in current setting
  • Share good practise and strategies with new school staff.
  • Meet teachers to discuss child’s special educational status and provision
  • Teaching Assistant may accompany a child on visits to the new school
  • Encourage parents to be involved in the process.
9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?
  • In consultation and agreement with the parents, the school will provide information relating to academic attainment, formal assessments, specialist reports, provision and strategies that are currently in place
  • Copies of Individual Learning Profile
  • Child Protection records
  • Details of SEN in the Education Health and Care Plan
  • Inclusion Support Plan and relevant records
9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?
  • Liaison with the SENCo in the new setting
  • Liaison with qualified Careers staff, Year Director and Sixth Form Tutors
  • Request an Intensive Adviza WorkerA
  • rrange visits to the new setting with staff and/or parents
  • Allow child to attend open days with LSA support.
  • Seek advice from ADVIZA
  • Prepare a Support Plan
  • Liaise with the outside agencies that may be involved with the child

10. Who can I contact to discuss my child?     

10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?
  • The child’s form tutor is the first point of contact
10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)
  • Parent Support Adviser
10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?
  • The school webpage has details of the agencies that may be able to offer support to parents and families
  • The Parent Support Adviser has information, leaflets and contact details for various external and voluntary agencies, available to all parents on request
  • The Pupil Welfare staff have information, leaflets and contact details for various external and voluntary agencies for pupils under their care

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

Feedback from parents is welcome and can be sent via email, letter or in response slips and questionnaires Academic concerns with the subject teacher, Form Tutor or Year Director
Direct contact with the SENCo or Year Director to discuss concerns or issues Parental questions and feedback during the Year 6 – Year 7 transition programme